- Posted by:
- Category: Dental Implants
Do you have broken or missing teeth? If yes, then you could be a good fit for dental implants. If you don’t know much about implants, then read on to learn the basics about this dental treatment.
What is a dental implant?
Basically, dental implants attach to the jawbone and support prosthetics such as crowns, bridges, and dentures.
So, what are crowns, bridges, and dentures?
A crown is a prosthetic tooth that fits on top of a broken tooth and hides it. Bridges are two or more crowns attached together, and can replace entire missing teeth. Finally, dentures are like bridges but are removable. Implants do the work of holding these devices in place and ensure they don’t come loose.
How do implants attach to the jawbone?
Implants attach to the bone in a process known as osseointegration. This means implants have a strong attachment to your jaw and will not come loose during normal use. They are as strong as the root of a natural tooth.
How long do implants last?
Implants are made of materials such as ceramics and titanium. This means they are very strong and can last for years, decades, or even a lifetime, depending on how well you care for them. Therefore, implants really are the long-term solution to missing teeth.
What are the benefits of implants?
Implants have several advantages over other treatments. Here’s just a few:
- Strength. The major benefit of implants is their strength. They act like the roots of real teeth. They can last a long time and you might even forget your crowns aren’t real!
- Support your jawbone. When you lose a tooth, that area of the jawbone no longer supports anything. This is bad, because jawbone that does not support a tooth tends to deteriorate and lose its strength over time. Implants help by preventing the deterioration. They attach to the jawbone and preserve and stimulate the bone, thereby protecting the health of your jawbone.
- Reliable. Although dental implants are an invasive dental treatment, they are also one of the most reliable treatments. They have a long-term success rate, and unlike treatments such as bridgework or root canal therapy, the outcomes of dental implants are highly reliable and predictable.
- No cavities! Dental implants are immune to cavities because bacteria can’t break down the materials they’re made from. That doesn’t mean you can stop brushing though – plaque can still damage the gum and bone around the implant. Just be sure to perform a normal oral hygience routine consisting of brushing, flossing, and regular dentist visits.
In all, implants can really change your life. They can give you a wonderful smile and they can even improve your speech and ability to eat. Don’t hesitate to contact us – we’re experienced at installing implants and we offer competitive prices.
Book a Free dental implant assessment with our expert dentists at Benson Dental Practice by calling us on 01384 637 835 or emailing email@example.com